Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

We have a an alexandrine parrot 3 years old, He flew away…

Customer Question
We have a an...

We have a an alexandrine parrot 3 years old, He flew away for 4 weeks ago and was in the wild for 3 nights. When he retuned he was highly stressed for 2 weeks, his injuries appeared to be from other birds attacking him. At the top of his beak just below his nostril it seemed to be damaged and slightly chipped, the chips have now fallen off and left a hole. The Red of his beak has come away and left the hole 2-3 mm in diameter through to some black material. Mate is his name, we are wondering wether the beak will naturally grow back?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the parrot's name?

Mate

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mate?

He is now eating well and playing however, has not regained his complete vocab yet. also had an injured foot which has almost healed, this injury has left him with difficulty gripping perch but is coping. took him to vet. Vet said his back talon is broken and may loose circulation. our main concern now is his hole in beak. We are at present using Spark Liquid - sustained released energy supplement + electrolytes in water.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 1 day by:
11/19/2017
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 8 months ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott, cert. avian specialist; owner of N.CA Parrot Rescue. I'm sorry for the delay in responding but your question just now came to my attention. I'm not sure if other experts had the same problem in not seeing it sooner, but at least you've got (my) attention now.

Is there a way for you to post a photo of the beak, specifically the area of concern? There's a paper clip icon that should guide you all the way. Once I receive that you'll be my priority

We have just given mate his morning shower so he is still a bit wet however, the hole is visible and appears to be getting bigger everyday. We think he maybe scratching it when we are not looking. He does have other marks and scratches on both sides from his ordeal. We believe his wounds are from other birds attacking him there are big black cockatoos in our town.

Thank you for that photo it's excellent. To a certain degree that injury should heal, but it's not likely to fully 'fill in'. I'm concerned that there might be an infection happening on the inner layers and may require debridement by your vet and perhaps a topical antiseptic safe for birds. It's worth asking about. If your doc doesn't see a need for this then just keep a close eye on it. Make sure nothing gets into that cavity and flush it out if it does.

Keep a squirt bottle handy just for this. Pick up a bottle of saline solution for contact lens cleaning and you'll have both the ideal solution to use for flushing and the bottle is perfect for delivery

When he showers make sure there's no water pooling in that space. Just dabbing the cavity with a cotton swab (Q tip) should sop it up without much distress to your bird.

You can also keep the other wounds clean with the same solution and the same method

You'll keep him safe from the other birds forever right? This poor guy is too beautiful !

Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 7 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
August Abbott, CAS