Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Loss of feathers under my male cockateils neck. I see him…

Customer Question
Loss of feathers under...

Loss of feathers under my male cockateils neck. I see him picking at it and he picks and screathes under his wing but i'm not seeing any other bald spots. One answer a=was vit A another was Parasites?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cockateel's name and age?

Is the vit A specifically for fleas? Sunny and he is 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cockateel's name?

Sunny

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sunny?

Otherwise healthy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird
11/17/2017
Bird Specialist: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 7 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi. Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear about Sunny.

Bird Specialist: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 7 months ago

Most captive parrots are deficient in Vitamin A, because we often let them eat seeds or seed mixes which are deficient in vitamin A. To improve this and his overall health switch him to a nutritious pellet such as Harrison's Bird Food pellets if this is the case. You can usually see bird lice with the naked eye if they are present. But there are many reasons for feather picking, and usually it is behavioral (he's bored, he's stressed, he wants to breed, etc). I recommend taking him to an avian vet and applying an avian e-collar around his neck and leave it there for about 3 weeks until the feathers grow back and hopefully the habit is broken. You may be able to order your own avian e-collar online from Amazon. I hope this helps.

Seems like a good recommendation. I will try it and see what happens