Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Cockatiel is very weak, staying in the bottom corner of her…

Customer Question
Cockatiel is very weak...

Cockatiel is very weak, staying in the bottom corner of her cage, can hardly walk

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Doesn't appear to be

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name and age?

Miss Bergie, and she's pretty old, we inherited he from my brother in law, when he passed away, so hard to say

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

I moved her water near her, and her food, she drank, didn't eat, she has some feces, on her feathers... Still wet. She also is unusually quiet, eyes half closed

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird
11/14/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is DRB and I am sorry to hear about your little bird......

Once birds decide to reside on the bottom of their cages it is the first sign they are very very sick....... unfortunately your little birdie is at the end of her life.....most cockatiels do not live this long...I would keep her comfortable as you can tonight and then take her to your vet in the am and allow them to humanely put her to sleep. I am standing by for any questions you may have.....and I am very sorry about your Miss Bergie.....it sounds like you guys have given her a wonderful life. It was very kind of you to take her when your brother in law passed. Can I answer any questions for you or offer any other help tonight?

Please let me know if you need additional help...DRB