Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My cockatiel has very dark nostrils, but otherwise, seems…

Customer Question
My cockatiel has very...

My cockatiel has very dark nostrils, but otherwise, seems fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?

Matilda, and she's about 11/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Matilda?

I tried putting a humidifier next to her cage and warm showers more often (twice a week), but I've seen no change

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird
11/7/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. "Very dark nostrils" is unclear to me. Can you upload a photo(s) of Matilda's face to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thanks for the response. The inside of Matilda's nares almost look bruised. I attached pictures, but its a bit hard to see. At her last wellness exam the vet said that the dark color was usually associated with dry skin due to preening. She isn't preening right now and I've tried all of the normal remedies for dry skin (showers, humidifier), so I was wondering if I should be concerned enough to make an appointment with the vet. She doesn't have any nasal discharge and is her normal, happy, active self.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

I see a very healthy-looking bird with normal coloration of the nares (nostrils). Please google the keywords "cockatiel, images" and note the normal variation in coloration of the nares. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thanks for the help! I guess I'm a worrier when it comes to my pets!

You're quite welcome. I'd rather you were a worrier than not! You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin