Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

I think my bird (lineolated parakeet)may be egg bound its

Customer Question
hi I think my bird...
hi I think my bird (lineolated parakeet)may be egg bound its her first time she layed an egg last Saturday and one on Monday since then she looks like there is another one ready to come out she is really bad tempered can you help
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Bird
10/7/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Beauty, please?

When addressing egg binding at home you’re necessarily constrained to heating up her environment to 29.4C by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage – not when she needs to sleep – or by taping a heating pad around the base of her cage and by adding an avian vitamin supplement containing vitamin D3 and a calcium supplement such as Calciboost or Calcivet to her drinking water. Ideally the initial dose of each should be given directly into her mouth. Regretfully, the oral route of these supplements can be too slow to help these birds as they can become critically ill quickly. It’s best that an avian vet (theparrotsocietyuk.org/veterinaryadvice/avian-vets) attend to Beauty at your earliest convenience although i understand your logistical constraints.

Treatment can vary from critical care to treat shock to simply providing supplemental heat and rehydrating fluids, injectable calcium and vitamin D3. Eggs already near the cloaca (vent) might be mechanically extracted. Aggressive therapy can involve deflating the egg by sucking out its contents with a needle and even surgically opening the oviduct and removing the egg.

Birds eating poorly (“seed junkies”) are likely to be calcium and vitamin D deficient (among other nutritional imbalances) and so a diet change is essential. Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin.  Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here:  www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here:  www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Lesley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Beauty. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian