Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My male budgie just seems more tired than usual not as

Customer Question
Hello my male budgie...

Hello my male budgie just seems more tired than usual not as outgoing . Sort of looks scruffy as well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** is about 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Greenboy?

I don't think so is well looked after and loved has a varied diet

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird
10/6/2017
Bird Specialist: Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist replied 8 months ago
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 yeqrw of experience keeping birds. I'm sorry to hear that Greenboy is ill. Not having normal energy levels and having puffed up feathers only tells us that something is wrong, without letting us know what it is. They are general symptoms. Birds tend to hide signs of illness, so by the time symptoms like you're seeing show up, the bird is often quite ill. I recommend that you take Greenboy to a vet.

I can't recommend pet store medications because the antibiotics available in pet stores are old ones, and most bacteria have developed a resistance to them. That makes them ineffective. In addition, treating a bird with antibiotics when it doesn't have a bacterial infection does more harm than good. Infections can also be caused by fungi and viruses. The symptoms you're seeing can indicate anything from a respiratory infection to organ failure to cancer. For all these reasons, it would be good to have your budgie examined by a vet. A vet who is experienced with birds would be best. Here is a site that will help you find one near you:

http://www.avianweb.com/recommendedvets.htm

In the meantime, make sure Greenboy is kept warm. If there's a warmer room in the house where you can move the cage to, that would be a good thing to do. You could also cover three sides and the top of the cage to keep warmth in. Another option is to use a clean sock, and fill it 2/3 with plain, raw white rice. Tie the open end and microwave it for about 1 1/2 minutes. Then shake to distribute the heat. Make sure it's not so hot that it could burn your bird. Put it in the cage for added warmth. You can re-warm it when it gets cool. Greenboy can stay near it if he's a bit chilly, and move away if he gets too warm. You could also place a heating pad set on low over part of the cage. Be sure to keep cords out of his reach. A light bulb over the cage can also provide warmth. Birds who are under the weather do best with temperatures in the 90*s(Fahrenheit)

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope this will turn out to be something minor and easily treated.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna
He seems abit better is more responsive to me and chirping to me when I talk to him but his appetite seems to be huge . All he wants to do is eat .
I'm glad to hear that Greenboy seems a little better. It's a good sign that he wants to eat. If you can't see a vet, I would keep him warm and feed him a nice variety of foods. If you don't already, try feeding him bits of boiled egg, fruits, cooked sweet potato, cooked whole grain pasta, etc. Variety can give a sick bird extra nutrients.If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for the update.