Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Rescued budgie was kept at school for 2 weeks and is now at…

Customer Question
Rescued budgie was kept...

Rescued budgie was kept at school for 2 weeks and is now at home with us for 2 week holiday.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the budgie?

He (I think) is running back and forth on the perch.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the budgie's name?

The school called it Tweetie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tweetie?

He has a cuttlefish that I've just given him and he seems to like attention and is anxious if there is no one in the room.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Bird
10/3/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You've described an anxious rather than unwell budgie who's craving attention and more stimulus he's lacking not being at school. If he can be safely allowed out of his cage you should see him calm down shortly. The cuttlefish is a good source of calcium but his diet needs to contain sufficient vitamin D3 so he can absorb the calcium.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Tweetie's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.