Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

You cockatiel is 5yrs. Old. He's eating a lot and sleeping a…

Customer Question
You cockatiel is 5yrs...

You cockatiel is 5yrs. Old. He's eating a lot and sleeping a lot. Doesn't sing or talk anymore. He's ficus is green and black .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?

Cinnamon and is 5yrs. Old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Cinnamon?

I told you twice. He's 5 years old

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Bird
Started this way about 10 days ago. Have 75 watt light by him and he sleeps by it ,all day and night. When he's not eating.
9/29/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to note that once a cockatiel acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild and within their flock. Cinnamon's polyphagia (increased hunger) suggests diabetes mellitus, disorders of digestion, including Macrorhabdus (previously called megabacteria and avian gastric yeast), jaw injuries (he wouldn't actually be eating but is attempting to do so), exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (a lack of digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas), and starvation (check that there's food and not just husks in the food dish. Black feces can indicate anorexia, blood in the feces, and/or a foreign body in the GI tract.

An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Cinnamon's choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be quite helpful as well.

Until he can be attended to, continue to heat up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. If he appears weakened remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Cinnamon's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your help dr. I don't have the money to go to the vet. Very expensive here in n.j. I just bought vitamins for his water. I'll try to give him some pancakes and egg yolk to see if he's eating.

I understand, Carmen. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I don't know what else to do for him. My other cocktail live for 18 yrs. This one is so sweet and talks. Is just a baby. I hate to lose him. He tried to play with his bell today. But not long. You said to turn the light off at night? Won't he get chilled?

Not if you replace the light with a heating pad as I mentioned above.

Hi Carmen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin