Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

The inside of my cockatiels lower beak is turning black. See…

Customer Question
The inside of my...

The inside of my cockatiels lower beak is turning black

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your bird?

See my previous response

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your bird seem to hurt?

It doesn't seem to hurt him, but there is a lot of black inside his lower mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bird's name and age?

Peaches....approx 22 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Peaches

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Bird
9/28/2017
Bird Specialist: Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist replied 10 months ago
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist

Hello and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with I'll be glad to help today. some additional information will help us determine if this is something to worry about.

Has the texture of the beak in the black area changed - does it look scaly or raised from the rest of the beak?

Does it seem to bother him? interfere with hsi eating?

Thank you.

It doesn't seem to bother him and doesn't interfere with his eating.
It's very difficult to get a good close look at it because he fights when I try to get him to open his mouth. But, from what I can see it looks a little raised.
He's on a seed diet with a good dose of vitamins, plus he gets some peas, carrots, potatoes and bread nibbles from time to time.
Thank you for getting back to me. I was just notified that you had responded. I'm working on some information for you now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.
Thank you.
Thank you for waiting. There are several things that could account for this, but when deciding what to do, we need to take Peaches' age into consideration. 22 is quite an advanced age for a cockatiel, and since the affected area doesn't bother him, you may want to take a wait and see approach.If the area wasn't raised at all, it could be a normal age- related occurrence. Sometimes in older cockatiels parts of the beak, or even the entire beak, will turn black. The color change doesn't interfere with eating or cause itching or pain.Infections can cause a color change, too, often with the affected area being somewhat raised. Fungal or bacterial infections can be responsible. Such infections often itch or hurt, and the bird will rub his head against objects or the cage, claw at his beak, or have trouble eating.Finally, certain cancers can result in raised, darkened areas. These may be painful or not. These growths often become more and more raised from the surface of the beak. They eventually interfere with eating. Sometimes the growths can be surgically removed.While all of these conditions are possible, the most common one is normal age- related color change. If you want to be sure, you may want to have your vet take a look at it and perhaps take a scraping from it. Otherwise, you can just keep an eye on the situation. If he starts acting like it itches ir hurts, or interferes with his ability to eat, you'll definitely want to see your vet.If you have more questions or concerns, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope Peaches will be fine.Anna
Thank you. One thing I failed to mention is that this came on very quickly....just in that last few days......if that makes any difference.
You're very welcome. That could make a difference. I know of one case where a bird ate some cooked cereal which became stuck inside the beak. It turned black. A vet scraped it off. It doesn't sound like Peaches diet includes sticky foods. Blood also turns black after a day or so. He may have injured himself somehow. After clotting, blood will turn black. This would eventually return to normal as long as no infection occurred. You would have to get a closer look to determine if either of these things happened. Perhaps you could get someone to help you. One you could gently hold Peaches wrapped in a towel, while the other one looked.The fact that the color change came on so quickly makes an age- related change less likely. You may want to have your vet take a look.Anna
Thank you very much for your help
You're very welcome. If you think of anything else, don't hesitate to ask.