Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Parakeet with bulge where he

Customer Question
poops...
Parakeet with bulge where he poops
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Bird
Eating and drinking more
Change in stools Looser
Is there something I can do to help him? He otherwise looks healthy
He never lets me hold him And he is now.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/27/2017
Bird Specialist: Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian
Hello. I am terribly sorry to hear about your parakeet. I have some questions for you so that I can offer the best advice to help you and your bird.1. How old and what gender is your bird?2. Is the mass or lump firm or soft?3. Do you see any open wounds?4. Does your bird have any previous medical problems?5. Is your bird showing any other signs such as coughing, sneezing, vomiting or diarrhea?Any information you could provide would be helpful.Dr. Adamski
Male approx 5 years old , mass is firm and shiny. Looser stools. Not talking , can't fly up. Very fast growing
Ok. Based on the information you provided the following issues are most common causes of the problem you described.1. A type of cancer or tumor. Parakeets can get tumors that would show up in the abdomen. Faster growing tumors tend to be more problematic with a worse outcome I'm afraid. They can be surgically removed or potentially treated with radiation/anti-cancer drugs known as chemotherapeutic agents2. It could be a cyst or fluid filled sac. These abnormal collections of fluid can develop for a variety of reasons. They can be drained by aspirating with a needle or removing surgically.3. It could be a collection of blood from trauma. This type of problem can be tested with first-aid measures to try and stop the bleeding and replacement of fluids with fluids under the skin or in a vein for example.If your bird was a female they can also get retained eggs or what we call yolk coelomitis which is where the egg doesn't form correctly and the liquid yolk collects in the bird's equivalent of the "abdomen."I hope that has provided some information for you. I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with avian species or birds. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your bird all the best.Dr. Adamski

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Yankmedic911