Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

Do finches fly south in the fall? Is it normal for them to…

Do finches fly south in...
Do finches fly south in the fall? Is it normal for them to have left the Bowie MD area at the beginning of September? They were devouring a lot of thistle seed and then all of a sudden no feathered friends on my feeder. I'm new at bird stuff because now all my cats are indoor and I don't have to feel guilty. ;-)
9/27/2017
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian
Hello. I'll do the best I can to answer your questions. The two most common finch species on the east coast of the US are the house finch and the purple finch. Both of these species may migrate south in the winter but also can be found overwintering in MD as well. It really depends on the local food supply. It is possible your local group of birds migrated south or just moved locally to find a more plentiful food source and/or shelter. This is especially true diring bad weather events such as the hurricane related storms that hit the east coast recently.I have attached a link to the University of Cornell's ornithology website where you can confirm the species you saw and discover more information about them. They also have a really useful and practical app for your smartphone which you can download for free.https://www.allaboutbirds.org/I sincerely ***** ***** this answers your question. All the best. SEEYA!Rob Adamski
Thanks so much. I'll stop worrying now and put my feeder full of seeds away to wait for spring. Thanks especially for the Cornell link.
No problem. I am pleased to help. Glad my answers proved helpful.FYI, if you have other birds that overwinter in your area you may want to leave your feeders out to help provide them a food source during the cold rough winter season when food supplies can be scarce. All the best. SEEYA!Dr. Adamski
If you liked and appreciated my answers please rate my answer and click on the accept button so I can receive credit for my time and effort. It would be sincerely appreciated.Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian