Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My goose has broken his leg, i was wanting to splint it. His…

Customer Question
Hi my goose has...

Hi my goose has broken his leg, i was wanting to splint it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 6 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?

He is not very tame

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 1 day by:
9/27/2017
Bird Specialist: Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian
Hello. I am terribly sorry to hear about your goose. A broken leg is a serious problem not to mention very painful for your bird.Ideally you would take it to a veterinarian experienced with working on birds. They will be able to examine the bird, perhaps take X-rays to confirm how bad the break is and fix the problem for you. There are advantages to taking it to a veterinarian. First, they will be able to provide pain medication to make your bird feel better. Second, they can set broken bones in the correct position to ensure it heals as quickly as possible with as little permanent disability as possible. They can take X-rays to rule out more severe problems. They will determine whether the problem can be fixed with a simple splint or it requires surgery. Finally, they can determine if the break or fracture is open which means the bone poked through the skin since that requires antibiotics to prevent a serious bone infection.Here is a link you can use to find an experienced Avian or bird veterinarian in your area.http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803Meanwhile, until you can make arrangements to get help please cage rest your bird in a confined space so it doesn't aggravate or worsen the injury. Please make sure you feed your goose and ensure it keeps drinking.I hope this helps. Should you have any further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your goose all the best.Dr. Adamski