Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My budgie is laying an egg its almost out but stuck and

Customer Question
My budgie is laying...

My budgie is laying an egg its almost out but stuck and there seems to be blood all over the egg she is not laying on the floor of the cage rather standing in the perch

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name and age?

Blondie and she's 3yrs, she was attacked 4weeks ago around her face and feet by the other budgies in the aviary we separated her and 3 days ago got a little boy (2years) to have as a companion both are in the small cage

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blondie?

No she's otherwise healthy Her pelvic cavity is moving from side to side to try and wiggle the egg out

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Bird
We live in a remote area in WA and don't have a vet close by, we are very attached to the birds and don't want to loose her or see her suffer
Hello
9/20/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Blondie, please?

If the egg is still stuck and you can see it, you can gently grasp her in one palm and with your fingers of your other hand "milk" the egg out of the cloaca. Be careful not to press directly on the egg itself lest you break it. If you're uncomfortable doing this, you're necessarily constrained to heating up her area to 85F and hoping she'll pass the egg naturally. Egg-binding often requires the assistance of an avian vet but I do understand your logistical constraints.

Hi the egg is still stuck as its encapsulated in a prolapse its an odd shape, I phoned and spoke to a vet last night so I made the room humid I soaked her rear in a bath of warm water and have been giving her sugar water. Its been 12hours so I am now going to drive her 2hours to the vets to assist. I know her chances are slim but as shes made it this long hopefully she can hang in there for a few more hours.
One thing I will comment on for future reference I went ahead with this message as on the descriptor is said it was $5 however I was charged $48, I thought I was chatting to someone that could help me straight away then everything went quite for over 4hours. In the meantime I was very anxious making several phone calls to 2 local vets and referred to a vet in Perth who was able to assist me undertake some sort of help to keep the bird comfortable for now . I wont use this form of assistance now that I know how much and how long it takes sorry.

Thank you for the update. I understand. Please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us for help concerning your financial obligation to the site.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
I got the bird to the vets first in the morning there was nothing they could do as it was a full prolapse and it had dried around the egg she died a few hours later.

My condolences for your loss of Blondie. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.