Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

9 mth old Timneh African Grey. Feathers look bad and was…

Customer Question
9 mth old Timneh...

9 mth old Timneh African Grey. Feathers look bad and was chirping differently. Took him in and vet said he should have 40% red blood cells, his are 15% (which is down from 22% on Friday). And they couldn't find any white blood cells. She said when they sent the blood to the lab, the lab actually called to ask if the bird was actually alive. She's never seen this bad of labs in a living bird.
:(. He's hospitalized right now and they're doing injectable antibiotics and a nebulizer right now. He's also got an abscess in his beak we didn't know about but they found when they did a CT scan. They'll do a blood transfusion if they can get his WBC up but they said right now the transfusion itself would kill him. They don't know the cause but best guess is born with a poor immune system.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Nothing I can think of. Chem panel was normal. CT scan normal except liver showed that he was likely using fat stores to support himself, so not eating well even though we thought he was.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Bird
9/20/2017
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 10 months ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott, cert. avian specialist; owner of N.CA Parrot Rescue. Give me just a few minutes to review your question & respond. I'm with you

From what I'm gleaning from your input and the labs already done on this young Grey, I strongly feel your vet needs to pursue testing for psittacine circovirus.

***** Please feel free to share all of this with your veterinarian *****

The clinician must the clinical history and presenting symptoms, especially the poor looking feathers, to interpret the white cell count (or lack thereof). Since most wbc's are manual, there is potential for error; however, that much of an error is unlikely - and still represents something more serious.

----------

PBFD is one of the most researched of diseases now and over the last many years. Great strides have been made toward a vaccine against it, which is available in some parts of the world and developed in Australia; however, administration of this vaccine in a bird that may unknowingly be already infected can make the situation tragically worse.
---
Birds can live many years, even decades, without symptoms.
---
Feather sheaths will often constrict and not break through or open normally; feather loss, especially around the neck and head, places that can’t easily be reached for self-plucking, is seen.
---
“Avian Pathology” (27, 555-561) - is a professional publication your veterinary medical caregiver might want to fully research. Eventually the immune system will become severely depressed and this disease never has a good outcome.
---
Feather follicle examination and biopsy, as well as blood chemistry (PCR analysis) should absolutely be done.
---
The trouble with PBFD is that it doesn’t always show up in the feather(s) examined, so the test may throw a “false negative”. Repeating the test at later dates (approx. 90 days) is suggested.
---
DNA/Genetic testing can be done with blood from a toenail clipping; however, it has recently come to my attention that this isn’t suggested as a reliable form of sampling due to possible contamination from the toe nail. Sterile venipuncture is recommended. This requires a medical professional (vet).
---
Swabbing and testing the environment is also recommended in a multi-bird household.
---
In birds with lesions, biopsy may produce appropriate test results.
---
Smaller species of birds (like yours) are more often found with PBFD than larger psittacines.
---
There are chronic cases of PBFD which has a slow presentation and minor symptoms. These cases need treatments according to whatever issue occurs at any given time. Bacterial infections are probably the most commonly seen complications. Eventually the bird tends to develop the more aggressively progressing form of the disease (acute) and prognosis is anywhere from a few months to a couple of years.

---

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this with such a young bird that you've clearly grown to love with all of your heart already.

While things might look bleak right now, I've seen turnarounds in worse cases. Still, you need to be prepared for all outcomes.

That is "IF" this is what is happening

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

August Abbott, CAS