August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

He is a 3 year old male parakeet - some days he tries to

he is a 3 year old male parakeet - some days he tries to sleep all day other days he is fine very active once in a while he throws up a thick creamy substance, his diet is seed some fruit and oats from a cereal, days he mostly sleeps- before bed he will pep up and eat a lot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: no

I'm August Abbott, cert. avian specialist; owner of N.CA Parrot Rescue. Give me just a few minutes to review your question & respond. I'm with you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you

What you're seeing is actually vomitus rather than regurgitation and this automatically makes it a more serious situation.

Have you noticed undigested food in his droppings?

How long have you noticed this going on now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
droppings are normal but darker he has vomited a few time over a few months

I'm afraid I cannot make calls - I'm working out of a macaw rescue with no less than 6 great big and oh so loud birds surrounding me

Now that you've mentioned darker droppings, can you associate them with a change in food? How dark? Like a very deep, dark green or greenish brown? Or in the 'black' realm of color ?

Tell me again, as specific as you can, what he eats

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i would say dark green he eats pet store bag seed walnuts a little fruit and veggies the oats from a box cereal and crackers some pizza crust

I'm not seeing anything seriously wrong with his diet, BUT it would be far healthier to cut back on or even eliminate seeds in favor of a pellet diet and let's curb the people food, which is higher in sodium than is acceptable for little guys like this.

This said, I'm afraid that the vomiting cannot be a wait and watch issue. It's essential to get him to a bird knowledgeable vet asap for just two basic tests to begin with: An oral swab to look at under the microscope and to culture; blood labs to check for various disease, including hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver). The vet might also do a swab of a fresh dropping for microscopic eval right there.

When we see vomiting like this it's almost always a disease. Catching it early means everything. You've done a very good job in noting something 'off' like this and getting him treated quickly will likely save his life

Too often a 'watch and wait' when vomiting is involved leads to a sad outcome.

Once you get him seen please come back and let me know what's going on. I'll continue to work with you on diet modifications plus whatever else you're dealing with once you know test results.

Sound good?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you will do

Please be sure to rate our interaction so it comes off the board. You can come back to it anytime and as often as necessary without any further charge by the site.

I really hope to hear back from you on this -- we'll get your companion better!

Hi Bob,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

August Abbott, CAS