Heather Stout
Heather Stout,
Experience:  Head Veterinary Technician at Greater Birmingham Humane Society
99203287

My chicken is swollen in the back and the feathers in the

Customer Question

My chicken is swollen in the back and the feathers in the back are sticking together or matted, she is pretty raw in the back and she is bleeding out her butt. she appears to be in pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?
Customer: she is only about 6 months old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Heather Stout replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm a Just Answer expert. I'm sorry to hear about your chicken. Has she begun laying eggs yet? She could be egg-bound, in which case she would need to see a veterinarian for x-rays and to be prescribed antibiotics. Could she have possibly been bitten or injured by another animal? If she has a wound, you can clean it really well with warm soap and water and keep her quiet and separated from everyone else. If it does not improve, she would need to see a veterinarian to get prescribed antibiotics. Is the blood coming out of her cloaca (anus)? If she is pooping blood, then she very likely could have an intestinal yeast or bacterial infection. If this is the case, it is a very quick fix with daily medication that you can get from your veterinarian. Let me know if you have any questions about my answer! I'm always happy to help. And if you don't mind, please go to the top of your page and give me a rating. It's the only way I can continue to help people like you! Thanks!

Expert:  Heather Stout replied 30 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

lvt.rvt.hstout