Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My cockiteal is coughing a lot I took her out of the cage…

Customer Question
Hi my cockiteal is...

Hi my cockiteal is coughing a lot I took her out of the cage and it started coughing and threw up all over

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your bird eat anything unusual?

No nothing unusual

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name and age?

Snoopy and she's 3 1/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Snoopy?

No nothing that I know of

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 9 months ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott, cert. avian specialist; owner of N.CA Parrot Rescue. Give me just a few minutes to review your question & respond. I'm with you. Tell me though, before 'throwing up' - did Snoopy shake her head side to side, around and around and then fling a relatively sticky substance (it usually lands on their heads as well as all around the area) -- or was it head bobbing and delivery of partially digested food in a pile pretty much in front of herself or you or an object?

She started swinging head side to side then threw up a yellow substance all over me
Some did land on her back
I had a video I attached of her coughing and throwing up

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, what you witnessed actually is vomitus and this makes the situation a bit more of concern than if it was just regurgitation.

Give me a few moments to compose more details about what might be going on and what you can do - ok?

Ok

I'm having a terrible problem getting a document I've prepared to post here so let's just address the event and the 'simplest' of possibilities rather than go in to the longer, more dire conditions

First, vomiting is almost always indicative of some underlying disease rather than a relatively minor systemic infection like a bacteria or fungus/yeast issue in the digestive tract

With this said, "disease" doesn't always mean something untreatable or with a certain bad outcome. And one instance of vomiting could still very well be nothing more than an isolated situation that ends up having no tangible explanation.

Here's your next steps:

Regularly check Snoopy's droppings and be very astute to any food you might find in it, undigested. I suggest strongly that you keep the cage papers changed regularly so you don't mistake food that's on the floor for food that came through the digestive system undigested

Also, give Snoopy some cuddles and sniff around her mouth. You want to be aware of any foul or 'off' odors. A bird's mouth may smell bad within an hour or so after they eat, but beyond that there shouldn't be much of a smell at all.

Take notes of these observations starting right away and continue through the weekend, no matter how good she might be acting and how normal she seems ok?

Also watch for other things she might be eating. Chewing cage bars? Parts of toys like the chains or connectors (metal or painted parts)?

And finally, very importantly, let's discuss what Snoopy eats on a daily basis. If it's a seed blend food, this may be the culprit and you might actually be seeing a symptoms of hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) and possibly hypovitaminosis A.

We can start fixing this right away by encouraging her to eat things like dark green vegetables, dark orange vegetables and a pellet food diet. ANY pellet food is better than seeds

I have huge success with offering human baby food, like sweet potatoes and carrots, to even the fussiest birds.

From here it's almost too easy to get them eating better fresh foods.

No matter what - Snoopy needs a check up no later than next week and sooner on an emergency basis if you find her staying at the bottom of the cage and acting sluggish, lethargic or losing her balance.

Do you have a vet you trust? For something like this it's essential the vet sees either ONLY birds or MOSTLY birds

I don't have any vet for her she's also in a cage with her sister who has never been separated from birth the other bird seems fine both eat only seeded food from the store and occasionally millet seeds once in while I offer broccoli but they don't really eat it
Snoopy did have a bowel movement on me after she vomit it was normal runny-ish I have her in the cage now resting since it's night but do her her "cough" she was breathing out of her beak not nose as well
A bit labored breathing but then calmed down

It's time to find a good vet. These symptoms are those considered "high concern" - so first things first - start calling around tomorrow to find a vet, hopefully one who will see her as soon as Monday

By calling Pet Co and Pet Smart you can get a list of vets they use for their birds. Pet Smart often has a Banfield clinic right in the store and an avian knowledgeable vet is usually available

Call regular vets too and ask them who they refer their bird patients to

I have to stress this more than anything else: Even if Snoopy seems to recover and be 'fine', do not trust it! Birds are among the BEST 'maskers' in all of nature. By the time you see symptoms again the problem has grown worse and likely spread - making it more difficult (and VERY costly) to treat.

Acting right away with a bird is very often the thing that saves the bird's life. So please trust me on this and follow through with that vet visit

We have to get them off the seeds. Even in nature they don't eat just seeds and when they do eat seeds they fly for miles in a day to work off the high fat content.

Birds in a human home don't get anywhere near that much activity and so feeding seeds is like feeding a child little more than ice cream and sugar and making them live in their bedroom

Try the human baby food to get 'fresh foods' into the birds. Just make sure nothing else is on the label beside the vegetable and 'water for processing'. Nothing else

We can do this. I'll work with you all the way -- but we need to know what's actually going on first. From there we can get them both eating better which means less health issues = longer lives.

I consulted with a lady not long ago who has a nearly 30 year old 'tiel! Feeding right and regular vet check ups are adding LOTS of years to their usual 18 yr lifespan. I'd like to see your birds set a record for living the longest. I would love to see a normal lifespan for a tiel to double from that 18 years.

It was a little cockatiel that inspired me to start my parrot rescue org. Everything I do is in his honor - so I truly understand how much you love your birds

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

August Abbott, CAS