Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I came in the room this morning and she is all puffed out…

Customer Question
I came in the...

I came in the room this morning and she is all puffed out cold eyes closed and hardly moving

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?

She is a 5 month old love bird

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Leeza

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leeza?

A dog mouthed her 2 days ago but i checked her over and there was no damaged, she wasn't even wet, she was her sassy self till this morning

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Bird
9/15/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Leeza, please?

I'm concerned that occult internal injuries occurred when she was mouthed by the dog. Her symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of such an injury but by the principle of Occam's Razor it needs to be a serious consideration. Treatment for such an injury is usually by not doing; in other words, rather than handling her she's sequestered in a darkened, warmed, and quiet area until she stabilizes at which time an avian vet (www.aav.org) can then examine her safely.

It's important to note that once a lovebird acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild and within the flock.

Until Leeza can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. Remove her perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

She died before I received your answer. I had upped her heat.

My condolences for you loss of Leeza. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.