Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My canary won't fly anymore....feet are in good

Customer Question
My canary won't fly...

My canary won't fly anymore....feet are in good condition.....was given to me abt 3 years ago. Her nails were really long vet cut them and checked her out - clean cage always...best bird food,also eats fresh broccoli,apple,bread (small ammt) cage always open 24/7 good seeds vitamin d in water not too much millet seeds and cuttlebone. Trying my best to keep her healthy...she has been bald 2 years now...looks like a vulture ... so ugly she's cute as a cartoon...her name is ***** *****'s friendly with all my family...don't want to loose her...please help her....thankyou

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is Hop-sing bleeding a lot?

No not at all!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hop-sing?

No blood at all....She's always friendly to everyone but doesn't like to be touched except by me....and then only on her tail!.....she used to fly a lot, started to lay eggs, abt 3-4 each time then her eggs had no shell,just blobs....she stopped laying them after abt 3 times.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird
I filled out paperwork abt an hour ago
What's the problem,just asking
ThankyouIf you can't reach me here just send message to....860-3055446 phone
Or ***@******.***
Thankyou
9/15/2017
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 8 months ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott, cert. avian specialist; owner of N.CA Parrot Rescue. Give me just a few minutes to review your question & respond. I'm with you. Are you still with us?

I apologize for the delay in responding to your question. Different experts are on at different times and I just this minute found you - and am making you and Hop Sing a priority.

You obviously love this little one with your whole heart and given that I established N.CA Parrot Rescue because I love domestic birds with MY whole heart, I understand your concerns

By the way, I also apologize for the 'bot' not seeming to understand what was going on with your question. Rest assured, I'm human - so your patience is appreciated

From your very well done description my first impression is that we're certainly dealing with hypovitaminosis A. This would cause the beak overgrowth, the lack of shell on the eggs and even inability to fly. The other issues we often see with hypovitaminosis A is hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) and internal tumors are another possibility.

I might as well prepare you for potential heart issues as well.

Now the good news: Many times these issues can be treated effectively with both diet and medicine as long as it hasn't gone on too long.

A vet visit with an 'avian only' vet is essential. They know what to look for and how to read lab results geared toward avian biology rather than what a general vet knows about dog, cat and other mammals.

What we can start right now is discontinuing the bread altogether and perhaps the hardest part, weaning off seeds and introducing a good pellet food diet. One I find that works with even the most hard core seed junkies is Brown's brands for canaries - look for it online and try any type as long as it's seed free

Frankly, trying any pellet food that your baby likes is better than being on seeds

Fresh foods you'll want to try are those high in beta carotene like kale, spinach (like you already offer) and other dark greens, plus orange colored veggies like carrots and sweet potatoes.

I've found huge numbers of our rescues immediately go for baby food versions of these foods. I buy cases of all natural sweet potatoes - they can eat all they want.

Once you find a food like this that she likes, put it right next to the pellets in the same dish and let her mix them on her own

Or you can lightly mix it up for her - It's all a matter of experimentation and trying to find something that works

Medically, an avian vet will know what other complications are happening and may treat with medicines or injections or in extreme cases, surgery. I think you caught this early though and by being so astute and loving, may have saved her life

Keep up this excellent care and please check back to let me know how it's all going. I'm here to support you and Hop Sing (from Bonanza!) all the way !

August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS