Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a duck (I'm not sure which one of the 7 girls) who is

Customer Question

I have a duck (I'm not sure which one of the 7 girls) who is laying soft shelled eggs. I have heard conflicted things about this on poultry forums and am confused
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: As I said, I don't know which of the 7 ducks it is, but I think it's "Ana" and she is now 5 months old
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Ana
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ana?
Customer: has been sitting apart from the rest of the flock when out in the run / yard and she's definitely lowest on the pecking order
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please tell me what's confusing you. Oviductal disease if the most common cause of abnormal eggs in ducks. Various segments of the oviduct can be affected with salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct) and/or impaction of the oviduct resulting. Infectious organisms that can cause primary salpingitis in ducks include bacteria (Gallibacterium anatis, Mycoplasma sp., Riemerella anatipesifer, and E. coli. Viruses such as avian influenza, adenovirus, paramyxovirus, coronavirus have also been incriminated. Fungal infections (Aspergillus sp., etc.) need to be on the list as well. Uterine carcinoma or adenocarcinomas are the most common neoplasms associated with the avian oviduct. Other risk factors include chronic egg-laying, excessive body condition/coelomic (abdominal) fat, malnutrition, and prior egg binding.