Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I have a duck (I'm not sure which one of the 7 girls) who is…

Customer Question
I have a duck...

I have a duck (I'm not sure which one of the 7 girls) who is laying soft shelled eggs. I have heard conflicted things about this on poultry forums and am confused

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?

As I said, I don't know which of the 7 ducks it is, but I think it's "Ana" and she is now 5 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Ana

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ana?

Has been sitting apart from the rest of the flock when out in the run / yard and she's definitely lowest on the pecking order

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Bird
9/8/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please tell me what's confusing you. Oviductal disease if the most common cause of abnormal eggs in ducks. Various segments of the oviduct can be affected with salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct) and/or impaction of the oviduct resulting. Infectious organisms that can cause primary salpingitis in ducks include bacteria (Gallibacterium anatis, Mycoplasma sp., Riemerella anatipesifer, and E. coli. Viruses such as avian influenza, adenovirus, paramyxovirus, coronavirus have also been incriminated. Fungal infections (Aspergillus sp., etc.) need to be on the list as well. Uterine carcinoma or adenocarcinomas are the most common neoplasms associated with the avian oviduct. Other risk factors include chronic egg-laying, excessive body condition/coelomic (abdominal) fat, malnutrition, and prior egg binding.