Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a drop off peking duck. we dont think she got the

Customer Question

I have a drop off peking duck. we dont think she got the proper nutrients as a baby. she limps on her right leg. I just picked her up. and the underside of her leg feels warm to the touch. And shes having more trouble than usual walking.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: i just let her swim in the bath tub. her feet look fine
JA: What is the duck's name and age?
Customer: guinavere and she was full grow. when the people just dumped her. i think shes 2 to 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Guinavere?
Customer: she fills like she has lost a little wt not much
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Regretfully, it's nigh impossible for me to assess lameness from afar. I can tell, you, however, that infectious synovitis (joint infection) is a very common cause of lameness in ducks. An avian vet (www.aav.org) can palpate the joints of this leg for swelling and warmth (perhaps this is what you're feeling) which would indicate such an infection. Ideally, the joint is tapped and the fluid cultured to determine which bacteria are present and which antibiotic would be the best to administer for 4-6 weeks. The only antibiotic designed for poutry that is still available over the counter is tylosin in the form of Tylan-50 which needs to be injected into Guinavere's breast muscle once daily for 5-7 days at a dose of 5 - 15 mg per pound of body weight. This wouldn't be long enough to effectively treat a joint infection and we don't know if such an infection exists at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We dont really have a avian vet here. regular vet and 1 Homeopathic vet. shes been walking like this for a year. were where harvey just hit. She has had no swelling just warmth on the thigh part of her leg. Maybe Hip dysplasia mild arthritis she has always improved by swimming in her pool
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The warmth has been just since harvey hit.

I understand. It's difficult to find an avian vet in the best of circumstances. It would be interesting to see how aspirin affected her when dosed at one adult aspirin (325 mg) per pint of drinking water. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i will have to put it in a syringe. can i give her 1/4 or 1/8 of a baby asprin or childrens liquid asprin?. I have 4 other ducks in the yard. Shes the queen.

Dosing at just 0.5 mg per pound of body weight daily can be tried. A baby aspirin contains 81 mg. A 10 lb duck would receive just 5mg. That's just a 16th of a baby aspirin daily!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try this and let you know. Thank you

Sounds good. You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin