Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

One of my two parakeets is sitting on the bottom of the

Customer Question
One of my two...

One of my two parakeets is sitting on the bottom of the cage

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?

Listless

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?

Blue tailor - just over a yer year

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Just that the other bird is as chipper as ever, but the other bird seems to be dominant

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Bird
This morning he was lying on his back. This started when the temp outside was 111
He is standing but his head is twitching to one side
9/7/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Blue Tailor, please?

Regretfully, it sounds as if he's demonstrating agonal (near death) symptoms and you may have already lost him.

I'm home from work now. Should I try to give the parakeet water with a medicine dropper and should I mix the water with a little sugar?
When I got home just now, my parakeet was still alive but still sitting on the bottom of the cage.

That's reasonable if he hasn't been able to eat or drink. I would use an infant fluid and electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte (or generics) rather than sugar water. Ideally, fluid deficits are given subcutaneously with a needle but if you're patient you can give quite a bit of fluid by mouth...to the point of mildly distending his crop. I would also heat up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. He appears weakened and so remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thanks for your response. I was able to pick him up from the bottom of the cage and tried to give him water with a medicine dropper. He wouldn't open his mouth but may have gotten a little water. I also had a millet twig with the seeds on it and to my relief, he ate some of that. He got stronger it seemed as he was eating and was finally strong enough to get himself out of my hand. He was squawking and flapping his wings weakly and falling over on his back as he struggled to get away. He is now back in his cage looking a little stronger (but I'm not really sure of this). I'm on my way to the store to get him Pedialyte and a heating pad. I happen to have Gatorade here already. Would that work something like Pedialyte? I already have the vitamin drops in the water in a shallow lid at the bottom of the cage. Forgot to tell you that there is another bird in the same cage and that boy bird does not seem sick at all.

Yes, and he might like the flavored Gatorade. You did tell me of the other bird. What have they been eating, please? Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. Seeds should compose less than 20% of their diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

I did not realize that seeds should only comprise 20% of their diet! No wonder he is sick. Actually yesterday when I went to a pet store to get vitamins for their water, the cashier told me I should be giving them fruits and vegetables. But it is only helping the healthy bird right now since the sick one wasn't eating at all until I got him to eat a little millet. Yesterday evening I put raw broccoli and blackberries in their cage but tonight it doesn't look like the healthy bird has touched this. Maybe it would if I keep trying it. I don't have another cage. Can I keep the healthy bird in the same cage with the sick one if I attach a heating pad to the cage?
A friend at work brought me Doxycycline 100 mg today. Is that something that might help Blue Tailor? I haven't opened the small pouch yet but assume it might be in powder form that would need to be mixed with water. My friend says it is an antibiotic that might help.

Yes, but watch for overheating which is evidenced by their spreading their wings. You mustn't add antibiotics to the water. They won't be effective and can be harmful. Antibiotics must be given directly into the mouth of pet birds or injected into them.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin