Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with a special interest in exotic pets.
63065003

My bird has a broken wing with wound help please. No just

Customer Question

my bird has a broken wing with wound help please
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your bird bleeding a lot?
Customer: no just looks a little real sore
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: girl birdy 4 month
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: are you there
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?
Customer: no, not really she got stepped on and she is eating now poor birdy
Category: Bird
Expert:  DrRoyC replied 2 months ago.
DrRoyC responding and concerns regarding Birdy.What type of bird?
Any other birds?
Expert:  DrRoyC replied 2 months ago.
AAV.org has an avian/bird veterinarian locator on the website.
Also call area veterinary clinics to see who does birds.A few AEC, Animal Emergency Clinics will see birds on a Sunday.1st Aid for today:
Take perches out or lower to bottom of cage, same with food & water.Towels on bottom of cage for padding.
Expert:  DrRoyC replied 2 months ago.
Quite area, keep resident dogs $ cat's away
Expert:  DrRoyC replied 2 months ago.
For bleeding, gently hold in towel, controling head, use pressure.Some "broken wings" are actually broken new primariy flight feathers coming in with a molt. Commonly called Blood Feathers.Can you upload photos/video?
Expert:  DrRoyC replied 2 months ago.
If it's a blood feather, need to pull.
Expert:  DrRoyC replied 2 months ago.
When was last molt?
Expert:  DrRoyC replied 2 months ago.
Will monitor for your response and questions
DrRoyC
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
don't know about last molt seems on going is the bird going to heal? or die..What can be done?
Expert:  DrRoyC replied 2 months ago.
Apologies, was driving.Can you send pictures?Birdie needs to see bird vet!!Our Goal for today is provide 1st Aid.
What kind of bird?
Any trauma?
Other birds?
Expert:  DrRoyC replied 2 months ago.

I have more traveling to do, will opt out, so your question is available to other Just Answer veterinarians.

Expert:  Yankmedic911 replied 2 months ago.
I am terribly sorry to hear about your bird. The first aid procedures Dr. Roy the other expert detailed are complete, thorough and very appropriate as his his recommendation to consult a veterinarian who is familiar with birds . The list of veterinarians on the ASV website he mentioned is your best source to locate a local veterinarian who is familiar working with birds. If your bird's wing is broken when it will at a minimum need a splint for its wing with pain medicines as well as wound care and antibiotics if the broken bone has pierced the skin or what we call an open fracture.I hope both Dr. Roy and I have answered your questions. Should you have any further questions or concerns please let us know. I wish you and your bird all the best.Dr. Adamski
FYI... Dr. Roy if the client does respond you should receive credit for this call as you did most of the work. 😊