Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I have a baby fledgling mockingbird for about a week and a…

Customer Question
I have a baby fledgling...
I have a baby fledgling mockingbird for about a week and a half. Been feeding him cat kibble with hard boiled egg and egg shell. Started introductions little priced last apple and dried meal worms (soaked) 2 days ago. The bird is not standing as of today. He's on the floor of his cage. He is alert and feeding. I'm not sure what is happening
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Bird
8/6/2017
Bird Specialist: nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon replied 11 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am quite concerned about this wee one. To see him suddenly unable to stand but with no history of trauma, we'd be worried that your diet hasn't been balanced enough for him. Therefore, the first point of call would be to start him on an OTC bird specific vitamin supplement. Otherwise, I'd note that when we are carrying for this species in our practice we will aim to feed a diet of 20 – 30 mealworms and soaked cat food. But also offering a food plate (1/4c daily) of 2 – 3 earthworms (20%), 30% soaked cat food, 30% berries and fruit (including grapes, watermelon, melon, and oranges), 5% veggies (no greens), 1 teaspoon suet (5%) along with a vitamin supplement. So, do make those adjustments now. But if he doesnt' regain his feet in the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want him to see a local vet to assess him for damage or brewing infection but also to make sure the previous diet hasn't caused metabolic bone disease. If you have any trouble getting him seen, I'd note that you can find local rehab assistance at: Wildlife International (http://www.wildlifeinternational.org/EN/public/emergency/emergencyrehab.html), US Wildlife Rehabilitation (http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildlife/rehabilitators/directory-us.html), Wildlife Rehabbers (http://wildliferehabber.com/rehabber-search), or Wildlife Sanctuaries (http://www.greenpeople.org/sanctuary.htm) to help give him a chance here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )