Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My budgie is suddenly not flying well. She is otherwise

Customer Question
Hello, my budgie is...

Hello, my budgie is suddenly not flying well. She is otherwise behaving completely normal and doing all her usual squawking and singing. She does attempt to fly but ends up crashing into things or landing on the floor. Could she be molting?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your bird?

No idea. I've been away for a couple weeks, and I am her primary companion. other than that no clue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your bird seem to hurt?

She doesnt

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your bird eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is your bird having trouble peeing or pooing?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is your bird behaving differently?

Flight is the only challenge

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Chicken

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?

I dont think so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Bird
8/4/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Molting should be be an orderly process so that too many feathers aren't lost at one time leaving a bird unable to fly properly and at risk from predators. Molting is a stressful time for birds, however, often leaving them weakened particularly if their diet is poor.

What has Chicken's (!) diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin.  Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here:  www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here:  www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Her diet has been primarily seeds. Also millet, and the usual cuttle fish. I've tried other things occasionally but she doesn't seem interested. Maybe leaving it in her cage for a while will help? She doesn't seem overweight though, and is otherwise very energetic.

Regretfully, these "seed junkies" weaken and have limited lifespans. Here's a trick for migrating them over to pellets: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/small-bird-conversion/

For now, add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Please continue our conversation if you wish.