DrMichaelSalkin
DrMichaelSalkin,
55012488

My female cockatiel has a puffed up rear end. She is not

Customer Question

My female cockatiel has a puffed up rear end. She is not pooping as much as usual and she is always sitting in one of her good bowls with her tail up in the air. She is acting like a female that is about to lay eggs. I think she is constipated? Help!
Category: Bird
Expert:  DrMichaelSalkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ruby and I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Rather than being constipated, I would be concerned that Ruby is egg bound. Caretakers are constrained by how much they can do for their egg bound birds without the aid of a veterinarian. You can heat up Ruby's environment to 85F and you can supplement with calcium in the form of Caliboost or Calcivet and vitamin D3 found in an avian vitamin supplement such as Oasis brand vailable where bird supplies are sold. Ideally, consultation with an avian vet (www.aav.org) should be done to confirm or deny egg binding at your earliest convenience as it can be life-threatening to Ruby. It's not unusual for less droppings to be seen in egg bound birds as the egg obstructs the colon when lodged in the distal oviduct. For more please see here: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/egg-binding-in-birds

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Yvette,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruby. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin