August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

He is puffy, breathy hard and he looks like he has been

Customer Question

He is puffy, breathy hard and he looks like he has been throwing up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the bird eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nope and my other Parakeet is healthy. They are both 5 and 6 years old.
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Chuck
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chuck?
Customer: No, He has never been sick.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Yankmedic911 replied 2 months ago.

Sir:

I am terribly sorry to hear that your pet bird Chuck is having some problems. If your bird is showing signs I would recommend you take him to a veterinarian for evaluation. Birds usually don't show signs unless the problem is really severe since they are prey animals and will try to hide any signs of illness or injury. The "puffiness" you see is a general sign of sickness in birds. The "breathing hard" can be due to trauma such as from a fall or from an illness such as pneumonia. I have attached a link which you can refer to locate a veterinarian near you that is familiar with treating birds. Should you have any further questions or concerns please let me know and I shall do my best to assist.