Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Our bird is a parakeet. we purchased about 1.5 months ago…

Customer Question
Our bird is a...

Our bird is a parakeet. we purchased about 1.5 months ago from pet store. he can't fly and just yesterday we noticed BLOOD under both wings.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

He doesn't "seem" hurt at all. he is moving around fine but when he lifts his wings to try to fly, there is blood underneath in between the feathers

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bird's name?

Sprite :) my 11 year old is here with me. it's his pet :)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Just that his wings seems short and he can not fly yet, which we think is unusual. he shares a cage with another parakeet that CAN fly at the same age

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have a picture and can skype if you need to see him.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i'm waiting! !
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is anyone working on this yet?
very worried!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it said my wait would be 8 minutes and that's almost 4 hours ago!!!
8/1/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for the photo. I see (coagulated?) blood which in most cases is the result of a "blood feather" (a newly emerged pin feather) that has been fractured through the feather shaft containing blood. This is treated by finding that feather(s) and plucking it from the skin. Transient bleeding might occur but stops promptly. Bleaching the are with 3% hydrogen peroxide can be helpful in finding the culprit. Here's more about this for you: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/bloodfeathers.php/ Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think we should take this bird to the vet? This is on both sides. Should I investigate to see if it is what you think first? Or is this something that needs to be handled immediately because of the blood and the size of the bird?

Your investigating for broken feathers and removing them should suffice but if you're uncomfortable doing so, yes, an avian vet (www.aav.org) is best. Previously fractured pin feathers can bleed once again if disturbed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also, the blood is now dried. do the feathers HAVE To be removed? what if it isn't blood feathers? any other ideas?

No, but removing them removes the possibility of their bleeding once again. The only other reason for bleeding under both wings is trauma from a fall with wings outspread. This would be apparent as badly abraded skin as revealed after bleaching away the blood.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if there was trauma from fall, will the bloody areas heal themselves? we won't be able to perform the feather removal and i'm just trying to see if it's necessary to spend $200+ US to go and see a vet. if it was trauma, will it heal itself? since he can't fly, that's a possibility that he jumped off of something too high when he was out.

Yes, and because these birds have such a high metabolic rate, healing is quite rapid. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.