Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I am helping my son and his wife with a duck that has a

Customer Question
Hello, I am helping...

Hello, I am helping my son and his wife with a duck that has a injured leg from unknown cause. The leg has a open break at the foot with exposed bone and tendons, there is also a break above the (Knee?) this area is open but less so than the foot. They do not plan to seek outside help. I cleaned the injuries and applied triple antibiotic ointment and wrapped the foot and leg with gauze then medical tape. (That was yesterday), I am going to remove the bandage this evening, and clean the wound. Today I'm going to clean with bedine and reapply dressing/ bandage. What other suggestions would you have.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the duck bleeding a lot?

No, he isn't

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the duck's name and age?

The duck is about 6 months He is one of 12 ducks they got this spring. I'm not sure what they named him. This is their first experience with ducks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Him?

I was asked to help because I'm an experienced nurse. We separated the injured duck from the others over night and he seems to have more energy this morning and moving around I dont think there is anything else

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 5 days by:
8/6/2017
Bird Specialist: Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your duck. As a nurse, I am sure you are quite aware of the serious nature of an open fracture and the very real possibility of a bone infection that will require systemic antibiotics and more advanced care that only a veterinarian can provide. I must first caution you that the best course of action would be for you to seek the help of a local veterinarian who is familiar with working with birds. I have attached a link that you can refer to in order to find a local avian veterinarian. This will give the duck the best chance at recovery and a good life after the injury. You can google American association of Avian Veterinarians for more details.Having said that if they still refuse to seek the help of a licensed veterinarian here is a plan of cation you can implement with your nursing skills.1. You will need to keep the injured leg clean and dry by changing the dressings at least every other day. You can use disinf chants such as providing iodine or chlorhexidine to help keep it clean. Flushing out the wound thoroughly initially is essential. Use triple antibiotic ointment or silver sulfadiazine to help prevent an infection. Please note that bird pus is different from human pus and will be solid in nature.if pus is present you will need systemic antibiotics as topical medications are not as effective at treating current infections as they are at preventing them.2. You will need to splint the fractured leg with a soft or padded splint. An example would be a ***** ***** splint. Please note that bird legs can be tough to splint with conventional techniques. You need to ensure you immobilize the joints above and below the broken bone. Normally fractures heal in 4-6 weeks. The splint will need to be maintained for this long. Given the young age of the bird it might heal a wee bit quicker.3. You will need to ensure the duck is eating and drinking. The easiest way to do this is by weighing it on a scale. Please do so daily or at least every other day and keep track of the weights. If it starts losing weight or has diarrhea please let me know.4. Please keep the duck separated until the leg is healed. Once you take the splint off in four to six weeks start giving the duck exercise so that it can get some physiotherapy for the leg as it will need to regain muscle strength, range of motion, coordination and stamina. This can involve swimming in a pool and walking . Do these exercises for at least 1-2 weeks.5. I hope this answers your questions please let me know if I may be of any further assistance. I wish you and your duck all the best.
Dr. Adamski
I appreciate your response, but I'm afraid your advice took 6 days in the coming. I'm at a lost as to how medical advice given 6 days after requested is helpful.
All of your instructions are helpful and detailed, I wish I had received they the day or two after I asked.
Unfortunately, my duck has passed away and most likely would have.
I plan to request a refund due to the time it took to receive any response. Perhaps this was not due to you but the website's error. Thank you for your response. Marla
I am terribly sorry to hear your bird passed away. I wish another expert had been able to respond to you sooner.Dr. Adamski