Scott Perry
Scott Perry,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at El Camino Veterinary Hospital
97381174

Apartment is infested with bird mites, due to birds which

Customer Question

Apartment is infested with bird mites, due to birds which nested in the ceiling and then got in the apartment. The birds are gone but the mites are everywhere. What is the most effective treatment. She has cats that she does not want to impact
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: The birds were wild pigeons which are gone
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: No
Category: Bird
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you have had some wild birds and pigeons in your ceiling and you are looking for treatment of the mites they left behind. Just so I am understanding your question correctly, are you interested in treatment for mites in the ceiling or on the cats?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both

Ok, I can help you with that. Treatment for mites on cats is with a topical or oral flea/tick prevention. Examples of high quality products would be things like Revolution, Bravecto, and Comfortis, which are only available through a veterinarian. Decent over-the-counter options would be Frontline Plus or Advantage II.

Treatment for cleaning areas around the house and ceiling can be safe with regular household cleaners including bleach, although you will want to make sure animals are removed from the room for a period of 6-8 hours while the odors are in the room. For less odorous agents, you can also use Boric acid, white vinegar, and 5% Sevin dust to kill mites - all of these are safe around cats.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PerryDVM