Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My canary's skin is half red half black under her feathers.

Customer Question
Hello Patricia! Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Hello Patricia!

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Please help; my canary's skin is half red half black under her feathers. She is lethargic, eyes half closed and since this morning is not moving much.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Hello?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

You Please help; my canary's skin is half red half black under her feathers. She is lethargic, eyes half closed and since this morning is not moving much.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your canary. What is the canary's name?

Cookie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your canary?

Well it's not the lethargy I'm most worried about. It's her skin. Half of her body skin is red and the other half is totally black.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird
7/30/2017
Bird Specialist: Scott Perry, Breeder replied 1 year ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Breeder

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Cookie has red and black skin under the feathers. Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correct
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is sleeping all the time, her eyes half shut.

Thank you for that information. The differentials for red skin in a canary is a bacterial dermatitis or folliculitis. Treatment with a topical antibiotic such as trimethoprim-sulfa would be a good choice. If that fails to work then a skin biopsy is the next option to rule out an autoimmune disease. If the legs are scaly or red then a mite has to be considered as they are common in canaries, but do not typically show up on or near the feathers. If no scaly legs then it is not likely a mite.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have one more question. What should be the color of the canary's skin normally?
And If the legs are scaly then what is the best treatment?

Canary skin color should be a pink or similar to human Caucasian skin. If the legs are scaly then the treatment is best given with Ivermectin spray, which is a treatment for mites. Canaries have a proclivity for mites, which often manifests as scales on the legs.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PerryDVM

I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!