August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

My 6 month peking is limping, he eats Mauzi feed, and I have

Customer Question

My 6 month peking is limping, he eats Mauzi feed, and I have 2 other ducks who are fine. We do live on a natural lake, have 20 Mallards who just hang out during summer. He still grooms himself.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I dont think he will let me. I thought I saw two cuts on the side. I know we have snakes around. This has been going on for a couple weeks. The geese were here and was rough with them a bit
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Oscar
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oscar?
Customer: He seems happy, when it first happened he slept a lot and did not eat much. Now his appetite is good. He seems to do better when he, Daisy and Bernie go swimming for a bit
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he doesnt hold his foot up, but he tries not to bear weight on it. sometimes he gets off balance and falls down
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the lake is on a golf course and they have been redoing the greens, blowing goose poop in the water. I noticed a couple of mallards hopping around too
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Oscar had these signs?

Is he limping or dragging a leg?

Are there are swellings on the leg, foot, or in the webbing?

If you can handle him, any areas of discomfort when you press anywhere on the leg?

When you flex or extend the joints?

Any bone instability or crunching?

Can you take a photo of this puncture to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.