August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

Hope you can advise me. I live in a gated community in Boca

Customer Question

Hello, hope you can advise me. I live in a gated community in Boca Raton , FL. A swan ( believe it's a Mute Swan) has shone up solo.....no mate, just alone. Wondering how this swan got here. Feeling sorry that it perhaps was separated from it's mate. Several concerned neighbors said they will help find a mate, however we need to determine it's sex. Any good advice? Thank you. Lisa B
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: It doesn't appear that anything physically is wrong with the bird. Just curious HOW it arrived (perhaps some non responsible person brought it here)....and can it survive on a fresh water, man made pond. AND.....is it better with a mate, and HOW do I determine the sex of this swan? THANK YOU!
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: It's not hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: No , other than the fact it's living solo. Don't Swans mate for life and are intended to be w/a mate/family??
Category: Bird
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you have a question about your swan and how to determine its gender. Is that correct?