August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

A have an African Grey that I got from someone who didn't

Customer Question

Hello. A have an African Grey that I got from someone who didn't want her. She has been with me for about a month. She was doing great and growing a lot of new feathers. She became very attached to me to the point that she wants me to hold her and pet her. She is making these sounds as if she is hormonal and shreds the newspapers on the bottom of her cage and walks with her wings and feathers puffed up. What worries me the most is that yesterday she pulled the feather on her tail and shredded them
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping birds. I'm sorry to hear that your Grey may have a problem. Some additional information will be helpful.When you first got her, did she have missing feathers ?What is her diet like ? Do you know how she was fed before you got her?Thank you.