Scott Perry
Scott Perry,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at El Camino Veterinary Hospital
97381174

Sneezing no discharge or any other sounds or symptoms, Ovie

Customer Question

Sneezing no discharge or any other sounds or symptoms
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Ovie 2 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about ovie?
Customer: She was sneezing then stopped once I came in room. Spouse called me to come check on her.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sneezing fit as in wouldn't stop sneezing. I've now heard her sneeze twice. But she's whistling and talking like she's her normal self. Raining gross day here. Though she's never outside. Room is clean and has a air purifier. Another eclectus in room with her as well as a sun conure.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Isn't sneezing at all now.
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Ovie has been sneezing recently. There are a few common causes for upper respiratory problems, so I would like to go through a few of those with you. The first pertains to the food. What does Ovie's diet consist of usually?

Also, you may receive a request for a phone call premium service. This is automatically generated by the website, so you do NOT have to answer it. I can answer your question via text only if you prefer it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
An eclectus special mix. Volkman avian super eclectus to be exact. As well as unsalted almonds, avi cakes, and occasionally fruits.

Thank you very much for that information. Parrots have a high demand for vitamin A and a deficiency in this vitamin is one of the most common causes of upper respiratory signs (i.e. sneezing). Volkman diet has a large amount of sunflower seeds, which is high in fat and low in vitamin A. To make matters worse, Eclectus parrots have one of the highest nutritional requirements for vitamin A - more than other birds. Therefore, this has the makings of a vitamin A deficiency. Ideally, treatment would be to give an injection of vitamin A, but you could also supplement orally. An oral supplement will definitely take longer to see an improvement.

Other causes of upper respiratory signs may relate to a sinus infection (i.e. bacteria, virus, or yeast), trachea obstruction or narrowing, or Chlamydia. This can all be determined with a few low invasive tests and treatment is based on which one it is. Do you have any questions about that?

I would appreciate very much a positive review if you do not have any other questions. If you still have questions you may ask them here and I will be able to respond to them. You may select up to 5 stars when ready. Thank you very much.