Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

What can i do to help my chickens regrow feathers after

Customer Question

what can i do to help my chickens regrow feathers after molting? it seems to be taking a real long time. i have been feeding them 18% protein feather fixer but under the tailand just above the tail is taking forever.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: not sure of name i have been told either new hampshire red or rhode island red and about one year old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about I?
Customer: no i keep feed and water aplenty and clean coops reguerly.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Molts can be quite a stressful time fo chickens. To help them through it and hasten resolution (normal molts can run from 3 weeks to 3 months or more) please consider the following:

1) Increase the protein percentage in their diet from 18 to 20-22%. This is easiest done by switching from their commercial layer diet to a commercial meat chicken diet for a month or so.

2) You can supplement this diet with cooked eggs, tuna fish, tiny pieces of other meats, or small amounts of cat food - all protein-rich foods.

3) Do your best to keep stressors at a minimum - don't change their coop and don't add new chickens to your flock. Limit handling of them.

4) Watch for cannabalism which should be suspected when the area under and over the tail is remaining poorly feathered. You may have to separate cannabalistic birds until molting is complete.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.