Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I have a sun conure around 10 months old and he is really…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a sun conure around 10 months old and he is really aggressive to the new hahns macaw(of same age) that we got recently..we brought the sun when he was 4 months old and he loves to be with and is very tame... but he hates the new bird and keeps dive bombing ... the hahns is semi clipped so she does not even try to fly off when gets attacked.....I do not know if the situation is ever going to get better.. I do punish the sun by putting him in the cage when he dive bombs..and I havnot interacted yet with the hahns yet so as to not make the sub jealous . I do not want any of the birds to get hurt .. and want them to be out of cage together which is not possible at the moment.. can you please suggest as what should be done to make my sunny calm down..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?

Sun conure's name is ***** ***** the hahns is Kiwi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jupiter?

Nothing else...he is a beautiful happy bird otherwise, plays with me all the time

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird
3/22/2017
Bird Specialist: Scott Perry, Breeder replied 1 year ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Breeder

Hi. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that your Conure, Jupiter, has been showing signs of aggression to Hahns lately. Is that correct?

Please be patient for my reply. There can occasionally be delays between our conversations, but I will respond to your replies. If what I replied was correct then I would like to ask a couple follow up questions just to make sure I am understanding things correctly. The first is, where are you housing both of them and where is it occurring that Jupiter will dive at Hahns (i.e. is it inside an aviary/room or outside)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Their cages are inside the house side by side...
Initially we had kept the hahns locked in cage when Jupiter would go and attack the cage ..
Then we opened the top of the cage open , kiwi would come out to the top and stay there..that is when Jupiter dive bombs ...although attacking the cage when kiwi is in has lessen now, the dive bombs still worry me as it happens without warning for me to stop him....Today I am going to put Jupiter in the cage locked while keeping the doors open in kiwis cage when I go to work so that kiwi can come outside and Jupiter can see it but cannot harm...

There are a couple of things going on here that likely need to be addressed. The first is that Sun Conures have a well known streak of being protective of their environment, so the "territorial aggression" that you are seeing is relatively common in this breed. We also need to monitor for anxiety-associated issues with Kiwi, as these are sometimes seen in birds that are flightless or semi-clipped.

This may resolve without treatment as Jupiter gets used to Kiwi. ​Also, aggression can be more common during times of the year when testosterone levels are higher such as the breeding season. This may be most likely going on since the aggression appears to be focused only on Kiwi and no one else. However, all behavioral training should first be done by observing what happens before Jupiter gets excited. For example, how does Jupiter behave if Kiwi is out of the room? If normal, then that is where you should start. Work with step-up behaviors and whatever other training rituals you have been able to do with Jupiter - that is called "counter conditioning." Each week, gradually move Kiwi's cage closer to Jupiter's cage - this is called "desensitization" but needs to be done gradually and in conjunction with counter conditioning. This starts first by having them out of sight of each other, doing positive reward behaviors with Jupiter, and later bringing Kiwi in sight, but not next to each other immediately. Keep doing the positive-reward behaviors and inching Kiwi closer. If Jupiter starts exhibiting aggression then take Kiwi back to where you had her before where Jupiter was not acting out. Continue this approach, but be patient as it can take multiple weeks to months.

Also, you may want to consider holistic options like lavender diffuser. There are also medications to consider, but the standard desensitization and counter-conditioning is going to offer the best long term success.

Do you have any other questions?