Barbara Musgrove
Barbara Musgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
97344506

I have a chicken who is 2 years old a rhode island red, has

Customer Question

I have a chicken who is 2 years old a rhode island red, has been staying in the coop, she is molting. I have noticed what looks like egg white discharge where she roosts, I tried giving her an epsom salt bath, checked she is not egg bound, she is just not herself. Any ideas
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: I have a chicken who is 2 years old a rhode island red, she has been staying in the coop, she is molting. I have noticed what looks like egg white discharge where she roosts, I haves tried giving her an epsom salt bath, checked she is not egg bound she seems to be eating and drinking. Any ideas
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Moe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moe?
Customer: She seems to stay up on the roost a lot as well. This has been going on for 3 days
Category: Bird
Expert:  Barbara Musgrove replied 5 months ago.

Hello! I'm very sorry that Moe is not feeling well. This can be common when a hen is molting. To help me better determine what is going on, I have just a few more questions. Can you explain where the egg white discharge is coming from? Any congestion sounds from the airway or foamy discharge around her eyes? What are you feeding her? Do you use artificial lighting or a heat source of any type? Do you routinely deworm or treat your chickens for coccidiosis?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The discharge comes out oh her vent I notice it in the morning where she is roosting. No congestion or foamy discharge . I feed her later feed purine ! I always have a low red light on in coop and I do have a sweeter heater in coop ! I do not worm my chickens but give them natural dewormers like cantaloupe seeds or pumpkin seeds ! I have had chickens for 4 years ! I was wondering if it could be an infection in her oviduct like salpingitis

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job caring for your chickens. Yes, she could have an infection, such as salpingitis. If you think she needs an antibiotic, you will need to get a prescription from a local veterinarian that you have a relationship with. Sadly, the FDA has banned the usage of the previously over-the-counter antibiotic called Tylan.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am a nurse practitioner and have started her on amoxicillin 75 mg every day does that sound ok and for how long

Amoxicillin is okay but the dosage probably needs to be increased, we usually give 125mg/kg every 12 hours. Ideally we would need at least 10-14 days of antibiotic therapy for this type of infection.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks I can do that !

Wonderful! Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns about how she is doing.

~Dr. Musgrove

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My chickens chest where she is molting appears very red. She just had a liquid stool clear with a little green droppings in it. She is eating I made her an egg she ate the entire thing. She doesn't appear weak just stays in the coop all day. Any thoughts on the stool or her red chest?