Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a house finch who cant fly straight. seems

Customer Question

Hello I have a house finch who cant fly straight. seems disoriented or to have balance problems but is alert and eating and drinking. wings and feathers all seem to be okay.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: this is a wild bird I found in my barn. a female house finch
JA: How old is this?
Customer: adult bird
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about this?
Customer: not at this time
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your finch. Head trauma, malnutrition, and quite a number of infectious central nervous system agents - viral, bacterial, and fungal - are all considerations in such a patient. We're necessarily constrained by how much we can do for a 9 gram bird and so we concentrate on making sure that a balanced diet is offered. Finches are scavengers and will eat a surprisingly varied diet out in the wild. I would offer hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.