DrMichaelSalkin
DrMichaelSalkin,
55012488

Seeing blood in urine/ poop. Eats pellets and seeds. MJ

Customer Question

Seeing blood in urine/ poop. Eats pellets and seeds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: MJ Superstar, and he is almost a year old.
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: 1st day seeing this, should I take him to a vet?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: He has been doing fine, and this is the first I have seen of this.
Category: Bird
Expert:  DrMichaelSalkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. To answer you directly, yes.

When frank blood is seen in the droppings of a male (which type of bird is he, please?) we consider cloacal (vent) diseases such as internal papilloma disease, cloacoliths (stones), cloacitis (inflammation due to infection, mainly), cloacal neoplasia (unlikely at MJ's age), cloacal prolapse, severe enteritis (important) often due to gram negative bacterial infection, and warfarin toxicosis (rare).

It's important to note that once a pet bird acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild and within their flock. An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of MJ's choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be quite helpful as well.

Until MJ can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin