August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

My bird is a cocatiel, he is approx 6 years old. This

Customer Question

my bird is a cocatiel , he is approx 6 years old . This morning he took to flight and crashed into furniture. Hes wings have not been clipped. He lives on Trill Cockatiel seed , and beans , wont eat fruits or any other vegs. It has been very hot here lately and he seemed a bit off the last few days. At the moment he is sitting and very quite , has 12 hours sleep a night covered
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Lucky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?
Customer: no not really , he is very sociable usually
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has he appeared to eat less, change his drinking habits, or is he losing any weight?

Any changes to his stools?

Are his "gums" (inner oral mucosa) pink, yellow tinted or pale?

Does he seem to be breathing heavier then usual?