How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrMichaelSalkin Your Own Question
Category: Bird
Satisfied Customers: 30324
Type Your Bird Question Here...
DrMichaelSalkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cockatoo accidentally ingested a small portion of Silver

Customer Question

My cockatoo accidentally ingested a small portion of Silver Sulfadiazine Cream. Should I be scared???
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Umbrella cockatoo
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the cockatoo will be able to digest that. What is the cockatoo's name and age?
Customer: Sydney, age 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sydney?
Customer: Wound on chest. Is why she is prescribed the cream
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  DrMichaelSalkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  DrMichaelSalkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Silver sulfadiazine creams are relatively nontoxic to birds and so are often chosen as a topical antibacterial. Chronic ingestion, however, has been reported to cause agyria (silver poisoning). It causes a bluish discoloration of the skin, feathers and mucous membranes. A one time inadvertent ingestion of a small portion of the cream should be well-tolerated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.