Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

We rescued a cockatiel that already had a damaged wing and

Customer Question
it seems he has injured...
we rescued a cockatiel that already had a damaged wing and it seems he has injured it more should we tape it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cockatiel?
Customer: we rescued a cockatiel that already had a damaged wing and it seems he has injured it more should we tape it
JA: Where does the cockatiel seem to hurt?
Customer: on it wing there is a little bit of blood
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: well yeah you can tell it is injured but hard to know if it is bothering him,
JA: Is the cockatiel eating normally?
Customer: I mean he has already lost his full tail. yeah he appears to be eating normally
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the cockatiel's name and age?
Customer: Zeke and around 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeke?
Customer: Well again he was already badly abused so that same wing has already been clipped from a previous injury before I got him
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
anyone there
11/22/2016
Bird Specialist: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

Are you able to post a picture of Zeke's wing. A full body view would be fine. You said there was blood, so I would not immediately tape the wing. Since he has either reinjured it or has a new injury and is bleeding, he should have an X-ray to determine if taping the wing will even help. The blood could be from a broken blood feather, which is a simple fix for a veterinarian to remove, vs an open fracture which requires sedation, cleaning and potentially surgery. Is Zeke carrying the wing differently than before, or did you just notice the blood?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well it is really hard to tell since most of his wing is gone already. He is not easy to handle so i will wait until tomorrow to see how he is because catching him just stresses him out more.

Okay. I understand. So he had a previous injury and had to have part of the wing removed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was already mistreated so it is always a trick to get ok with being handeled
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah he had part of the wing removed and all of his tail. It is bleeding underneath which appear to have stopped now

Great that the bleeding stopped. It is not uncommon for birds that have wing amputations, even partial amputations, to be off balance and more prone to injury. Since the bleeding has stopped, I would leave him alone for the night and then see if you can get a picture for me tomorrow, or take him to a local veterinarian tomorrow to make sure that he does not need any pain medications or antibiotics. You can post on this thread for several days, even after rating my response. I am off and on the computer throughout the day and then almost every night until around 10 pm.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am able to get a few pictures

Ok great. This evening or tomorrow?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just attached it

Got it. It is very difficult to tell much about her wings from the angle. Is she hand tame at all or will she step onto a dowel in her cage to get her out for a picture?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try again tomorrow since he is a bit skittish right now

Okay. I will look for the pictures. Do you have a local veterinarian who sees birds or would you like help finding someone in your area in case they are needed tomorrow?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ineed help find one in my area that is for sure

what city and state and I will do my best to find someone local .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Highlands ranch colorado

Got it. Be back soon.

Joni R. Edwards

Professional Information

VCA Anderson Animal/Bird Clinic
1285 So Sheridan Blvd
Lakewood
Colorado
80232 United States
[ Map ]

Monique Weldon

Professional Information

Loving Family Animal Hospital
14605 E. Arapahoe Rd
Aurora
Colorado
80016 United States

View My Profile

Last updated: 4/15/2016

Krista A. Keller

University Hills Animal Hospital
4175 East Warren Avenue
Denver
Colorado
80222 United States(###) ###-####(Phone)

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian