Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Rooster is limping a bit. Also it has an abrieviated crow.

Customer Question

Rooster is limping a bit. Also it has an abrieviated crow
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No. Getting ready to do that
JA: The veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the rooster's name and age?
Customer: Haven't named him yet. He is 10 mo. old.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the rooster?
Customer: Not that I am aware of
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. The easiest manner in which to look for injury from the tips of his toes up to his hips is to turn him upside down and plop him in your lap. With another's help, you should be able to examine his feet for infectious pododermatitis (bumblefoot) which can be evident as everything from a subtle discrete swelling of the bottom of his foot to an obvious wound and then any erythema (redness) or swelling of his limb or joints which can indicate injuries and an infectious synovitis (joint infection), respectfully.

Because you're also noticing a change in vocalization, his lameness may represent a systemic infection such as Marek's disease (herpesvirus). Please review this site and let me know if you're seeing other symptoms of Marek's as discussed in the site: http://www.birdhealth.com.au/mareks-disease