Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

I have a Zebra finch who somehow injured his foot. The

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have a Zebra finch who somehow injured his foot. The middle digit looks swelled with the foot. He is favoring it, yet he is fine fling around eating and drinking. The vet I called is a bit expensive right now. Should I try to clean his foot?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is a?
Customer: He is about a year
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about a?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird
11/3/2016
Bird Specialist: Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist replied 1 year ago
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Hello Sandy and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in avian health. I'm sorry to hear of your finch's injury.If there is an actual wound, it would be a good idea to gently clean it. You can carefully wash it with a mild dish soap like Dawn. Dawn is the one wildlife rescuers use to clean oil off birds after an oil spill. Be sure to rinse it all off. You can then dilute some Betadine (sold in the first aid departments of discount stores and pharmacies) to half Betadine and half water. Use the diluted Betadine on the wound, and then hold the finch until the Betadine dries.If there is no actual wound, cleaning the foot won't do any good. What will happen next depends on the nature of the injury. If a toe is broken, it will eventually heal, but won't be in the proper position. It would probably still be usable. If there is only a bruise, it may heal completely. There could also be torn ligaments or tendons. Some injuries swell because there is bleeding under the skin. Others, because infection is present. If infection develops, we have yet other possibilities. It's possible for it to spread and become systemic, and that is life threatening. Another possibility is that the toe, or even the leg, may dry up and fall off. Most birds can adjust to living like that.What I have tried to do is give you the possibilities. Watch for lethargy, appetite loss, and increased swelling. If you see any of those symptoms, it would be best to find a way to see a vet. Otherwise, there's a good chance the injury will eventually heal.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your finch will recover uneventfully.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Anna
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist