Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I think he was unable to eat the seeds that we gave him

Customer Question

i think he was unable to eat the seeds that we gave him because he is too small. He now seems listless and weak. We tried giving him peanut butter and water and gave him access to smaller seeds which he tried to eat, but he still seems weak and wants to sleep.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Lovebird young We just got her 2 days ago
JA: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the lovebird. What is the lovebird's name?
Customer: Grace
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Grace?
Customer: No, except she seemed healthy until this afternoon
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If it's going to take a day to answer that will be too late. I will need to cancel this question
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please let me know if you still need help.

It's important to note that once a lovebird acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild and within their flock. Grace's symptoms of listlessness and weakness are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder.

An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food.

Until he can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. Because he appears weakened remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him.