DrMichaelSalkin
DrMichaelSalkin,
55012488

His bottom beak broke chipped maybe 1/4 of the lower side so

Customer Question

his bottom beak broke chipped maybe 1/4 of the lower side so not sure if he can eat or drink as gpod as he should what can I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: George 37
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about George?
Customer: no other than that fine
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how well he could eat with half his bottom beak missing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anybody home
Expert:  DrMichaelSalkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Can you upload a photo(s) of his beak to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cant get a pic the lower beak tip is gone along with the lower right third of his beek so looking from one side looks normal other side 1\2 the bottom beek is gone from tip half way back

I've seen birds with loss of the entire lower beak still being able to eat normally. There's a good chance, however, that overgrowth of the opposing rhinotheca (upper beak) will need regular trimming by an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) at least until the gnathotheca (lower beak) grows out. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.