August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Experience:  Cert. Avian Specialist; Int. Assoc.Animal Behavior Consult; Pet Ind. Joint Advisory Council; author
1604863

We have a turkey that has become quite lethargic. She eats

Customer Question

We have a turkey that has become quite lethargic. She eats and drinks, I have noticed that her ends of her tail feathers are showing which do not show on the older turkeys. Today she tried to fly on her roost and could not make. She seems very sad.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Her name is donkey (there is a story behind that) and she is about 4 months old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about donkey?
Customer: She seems to be shaking. She followed our older turkeys all around and then 3 days ago they wanted nothing to do with her, not even letting her roost with them. They are 2 months older than her.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Her coloring is lighter and she is getting weaker on her feet.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. I didn't want you to wait any longer but unfortunately lethargy, weakness, shaking and lighter coloring (anemia?) are too nonspecific of signs to be indicative of any one particular disorder. It isn't clear to me what "her ends of her tail feathers are showing..." implies. Are you seeing any other worrisome symptoms - swollen face (sinuses), conjunctivitis, nasal discharge, sneezing, coughing, increase respiratory rate, regurgitation/vomiting, swollen abdomen, or lameness? You can see all the disorders I need to consider here: https://livestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/ALBCturkey-5.pdf Perhaps something will stand out for you? Do you have an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) who is willing to come out and look at her?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok Thank you We have a vet coming tomorrow.

That's good to hear. Thank you for letting me know.