Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

My parakeet has bald spots all over her chest and on one of

Customer Question
her legs. The spots also...
My parakeet has bald spots all over her chest and on one of her legs. The spots also contain a lot of redness like it's irritated
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, her foot is fine and she is really mobile however she hasn't tried to fly and I'm unsure if that means she cant or just doesnt want to
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the parakeet's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** I am unsure of her age, she was given to me as a gift a few months back
JA: How old is Zeanip?
Customer: As I said I am unsure, but if I had to guess I'd say no more than 8 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeanip?
Customer: No that is all
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2016
Bird Specialist: katjadvm,
 replied 1 year ago
katjadvm

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Could you post a picture of the irritated areas? Feather destruction can either be associated with behavioral issues or a medical problem. I need to ask a few questions to get a better idea of what might be going on. What is Zeanip fed? What is her cage setup? Do you give any people food? How long has Zeanip been pulling feathers? Let's start there. It is a process to figure out?

August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist