Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

5 year old cockatiel, laying on her side, after being

Customer Question

5 year old cockatiel, laying on her side, after being outside in partial sun, had water and food. She''s unable to stand and walk nornally
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Bella, please? I'm concerned that she suffered heat stroke. Was it hot yesterday where you lived?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not heat stroke. Wasn't grooming with shower, fell to bottom of cage. She has a bloody line running from the front, right side of head to the rear. Now able to stand, we're trying to give her water, she''s not eating, not singing. Just sitting on floor of cage, left side is "jerking" like spasms. Having to make her drink. Acting more like concussion. Just moved, no local avian vets.

Thank you for the update. "Wasn't grooming with shower" isn't clear to me. Yes, you're likely to be correct. We treat concussed birds by not doing; in other words, they're placed in a darkened, quiet, unlikely to be disturbed area at 85F and hope that the tincture of time will normalize them. Perches should be removed and food and water placed on the bottom of the cage with Bella. If 24 hours pass without water intake, subcutaneous fluids need to be administered. I understand your logistical constraints. An avian vet (or general vet willing to do so) would need to administer the fluids. Please see here: www.aav.org

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin